Since it began operating in 1997, the See Forever Foundation's mission has been to create learning communities in lower income urban areas where all students, particularly those who have not succeeded in traditional schools, can succeed academically and socially. The Foundation operates the Maya Angelou Public Charter Schools in DC, as well as the Maya Angelou Academy at New Beginnings’ secure facility for committed youth in Laurel, MD. Our students develop the academic, social, and employment skills they need to build rewarding lives and promote positive change.
If you are interested in learning more about See Forever, please visit our website at www.seeforever.org.
At the Maya Angelou Schools, the key to our success is rooted in building trusting, respectful and nurturing relationships with each other. We strive to create safe spaces for all to be able to reach their limitless potential. We are at our best when we work together to ensure the unique needs of our community are met. We empower each other to grow successfully so we can see forever! This is how we live the Maya Way, even when no one is watching.
Core Beliefs and Desired Characteristics
Candidates should possess an unyielding belief that with the appropriate supports, coupled with high expectations, all students can significantly improve their academic skills, and can develop pro-social and culturally normative behaviors that will enable them to succeed at school and beyond. Candidates should also believe that all students have strengths and talents and that good teachers help students find them and use them to address weaknesses or overcome fears. In addition, candidates should exhibit the following characteristics:
- Honesty & Integrity: Does not cut corners ethically. Earns trust and maintains confidence. Does what is right, not just what is politically expedient. Speaks plainly and truthfully.
- Analytical skills: able to structure and process qualitative or quantitative data and draw insightful conclusions from it; exhibits a probing mind and achieves penetrating insights
- Persistence: Demonstrates tenacity and willingness to go the distance to get something done.
- Strategic thinking/visioning: Able to see and communicate the big picture in an inspiring way; determines opportunities and threats through comprehensive analysis of current and future trends
- Flexibility/adaptability: Adjusts quickly to changing priorities and conditions; copes effectively with complexity and change
- Enthusiasm: Exhibits passion and excitement over work. Has can do attitude.
Maya Angelou Public Charter High School is seeking a Clinical Counselor to fill a vacancy for the 2019-2020 school year. Maya Angelou Schools and See Forever Foundation operate three campuses serving students in 9th through 12th grade (high school diploma and/or GED). We are accepting applications for our high school campus for this position.
The Clinical Counselor will serve as a member of the Clinical Services Department, which is dedicated to working collaboratively with all school personnel (teachers, administrators, support staff), to remove the barriers which prevent students from accessing instruction. We believe that every student benefits from having
dedicated professionals whose major responsibility is a students’ emotional growth and well-being. In order to reach this vision, the Maya Angelou Learning Center recognizes that incorporating mental health services as an integral part of the school program is critical to the success of our students.
Historically, the Maya Angelou Schools have served students who present with a host of risk factors and more than 80% of our students report that they have experienced significant trauma (i.e. being the victim of sexual trauma, having at least one parent who is incarcerated, having experienced the death of a close relative). Additionally, many of our students come to us having been unsuccessful in traditional public high schools; have a history of truancy, and being disconnected from the school setting. To that end, the Clinical Counselor will play an integral role in providing direct individual, group, and familial clinical intervention to MALC students.
- Provide weekly behavioral support services (i.e. individual and group counseling) to all Exceptional Learners and general education students.
- Collaborate with the Managing Director of Clinical Services & Research to select and deliver targeted group counseling interventions.
- Assist the Managing Director of Clinical Services & Research in assessing clinical service gaps and establishing connections with external resources to effectively address these gaps.
- Ensure that all pre/post assessments (i.e. Resiliency Scales for Children & Adolescents) are administered timely.
- Provide crisis intervention and triage referrals to community support agencies as needed (i.e. substance abuse support and grief and loss counseling).
- Facilitate professional development and training opportunities for the greater school community about the impact of untreated trauma and positive outcomes of implementing Social and Emotional Learning (SEL) within the school program.
- Collaborate with the discipline team and school administrators to provide support to students struggling to cope with the negative behavioral impact of external factors.
- Collaborate with the Managing Director of Clinical Services & Research to recruit, select, train, and supervise graduate mental health interns from local colleges and universities.
- Maintain a comprehensive file on all students which includes a copy of their counseling intake, parental consents, and academic progress reports.
- Adhere to the protocol for maintaining confidential clinical files and referral process to follow-up on secured data.
- Communicate with parents and/or guardians to engage them in improving the child’s attendance, behavioral, and academic performance.
- Assisting in the efforts to improve daily student in-seat attendance (i.e. conducting home visits and facilitating family conferences).
- Performing other duties as assigned by the Managing Director of Clinical Services & Research or Principal.
Education and Experience
- Master’s degree in a related field is required (social work, mental health/community counseling, or clinical/school/counseling psychology). Independent license or license-eligible, mandatory.
- Experience with the basic concepts of positive youth development, clinical assessment, and strengths-based prevention/intervention theory and practice.
- Experience working in community-based mental health, family health/mental health, and or public school setting.
- Experience supervising graduate mental health interns (counseling, social work, or psychology) preferred.
- Must have strong skills documenting efforts and interventions.
- Must have a commitment to working from a strength-based and/or youth development perspective.
- Experience with providing teacher consultation and support.
Knowledge and Ability Requirements
- Demonstrates uncompromising ethics and personal integrity by adhering to the highest standards of ethical behavior.
- Excellent documentation, organizational, and communication skills (both orally and written).
- Excellent clinical and case management skills.
- Prior direct service experience working truant and disconnected youth.
- Demonstrates team spirit, initiative, and a willingness to collaborate with all members of the school community.
- Ability to work collaboratively and cooperatively as a member of a multidisciplinary team.
- History of effectively assessing the psycho-educational needs of students and families.
- Holds oneself accountable, sets high expectations for self and others, and works both independently and collaboratively.
- Strong problem-solving and crisis intervention skills.
Salary and Benefits
Our salaries are comparable to those of other public schools in the District of Columbia area. In addition, See Forever offers a robust benefits plan, including health care coverage, HSA/FSA and dependent care accounts, voluntary dental, vision, short term and long term disability options, commuter benefits, a 401k retirement savings plan, student loan refinancing options, and the opportunity to positively impact students with a broad range of experiences and backgrounds.
See Forever is an equal opportunity employer. We believe a diverse staff is a better, more effective staff.