Since it began operating in 1997, the See Forever Foundation's mission has been to create learning communities in lower income urban areas where all students, particularly those who have not succeeded in traditional schools, can succeed academically and socially. The Foundation operates the Maya Angelou Public Charter Schools in DC, as well as the Maya Angelou Academy at New Beginnings’ secure facility for committed youth in Laurel, MD. Our students develop the academic, social, and employment skills they need to build rewarding lives and promote positive change.
We assumed operation of the Maya Angelou Academy (formerly the Oak Hill Academy) during the summer of 2007. Nearly all of the students are years behind grade level academically, many have special needs, and most have experienced significant trauma at some point in their lives. Our mission at the Academy is to provide a safe, nurturing and mutually respectful environment that motivates and prepares each student to fulfill his academic or career potential. With the support of a wide circle of caring adults, students will develop the skills they need to make sound decisions and lead rewarding lives.
If you are interested in learning more about See Forever, please visit our website at www.seeforever.org.
At the Maya Angelou Schools, the key to our success is rooted in building trusting, respectful and nurturing relationships with each other. We strive to create safe spaces for all to be able to reach their limitless potential. We are at our best when we work together to ensure the unique needs of our community are met. We empower each other to grow successfully so we can see forever! This is how we live the Maya Way, even when no one is watching.
The Alumni Support Coordinator will focus on providing resources and support to Maya Angelou Academy students and alumni who are going to college. This position reports to the Guidance Counselor of the Maya Angelou Academy.
Responsibilities will include but not be limited to:
- Developing relationships with a small cadre of college and universities to help increase rate of success for scholars’ transition
- Serving as the lead advisor for college-bound students including:
- Taking the lead on making sure college-bound students are on-track to completing their diploma/GED on time
- Registering college-bound students for necessary college admissions exams
- Developing a post-secondary education plan for each college-bound scholar for his Level 4 and Level 6 meetings
- Exposing students to post-secondary education by arranging college visits, guest speakers, and organizing our annual college and career fair
- Helping students understand the critical issues with navigating the college experience
- Providing individualized guidance through the college selection, application, and enrollment processes
- Working with students and families to complete financial aid and scholarship applications to secure college funding and troubleshoot the financial-aid process
- Developing relationships with students’ support system
- Introducing students to key university staff/departments such as academic advisors, financial aid representatives, and residence life director
- Connecting students to university resources such as TRIO/SSS, academic advising and counseling centers
- Monitoring alumni academic progress by communicating with students regularly via email/social media, telephone, and in-person (monthly)
- Preparing quarterly reports that discuss alumni academic progress.
- Assisting with Academy vocational programming to enhance students’ successful transition once they leave New Beginnings
- Enrolling and monitoring selective scholars with credentials in online college course(s).
- A Bachelor degree in psychology, counseling, education, student affairs or related field is required
- Experience working with incarcerated or at-risk youth
- Experience with lower-income, minorities and students with disabilities
- Extensive knowledge of college and career readiness and retention practices, college selection, application, and enrollment process, and federal and local financial aid programs.
- Experience providing counseling/advising at a college or university
- An understanding of employment trends and the connection between college majors and job outlook/potential earnings
- Excellent organizational skills, including strong writing skills
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills
- Case management experience
- Possess an unrelenting belief that all students can achieve and succeed.
Core Beliefs and Desired Characteristics
Candidates should possess an unyielding belief that with the appropriate supports, coupled with high expectations, all students can significantly improve their academic skills, and can develop pro-social and culturally normative behaviors that will enable them to succeed at school and beyond. Candidates should also believe that all students have strengths and talents and that good teachers help students find them and use them to address weaknesses or overcome fears. In addition, candidates should exhibit the following characteristics:
- Honesty & Integrity: Does not cut corners ethically. Earns trust and maintains confidence. Does what is right, not just what is politically expedient. Speaks plainly and truthfully.
- Analytical skills: able to structure and process qualitative or quantitative data and draw insightful conclusions from it; exhibits a probing mind and achieves penetrating insights
- Persistence: Demonstrates tenacity and willingness to go the distance to get something done.
- Strategic thinking/visioning: Able to see and communicate the big picture in an inspiring way; determines opportunities and threats through comprehensive analysis of current and future trends
- Flexibility/adaptability: Adjusts quickly to changing priorities and conditions; copes effectively with complexity and change
- Enthusiasm: Exhibits passion and excitement over work. Has can do attitude.
Salary and Benefits
Our salaries are comparable to those of other schools in the District of Columbia area. In addition, See Forever offers a robust benefits plan, including health care coverage, a 401k retirement savings plan, and the opportunity to positively impact students with a broad range of experiences and backgrounds.
See Forever is an equal opportunity employer. We believe a diverse staff is a better, more effective staff.