Since it began operating in 1997, the See Forever Foundation's mission has been to create learning communities in lower income urban areas where all students, particularly those who have not succeeded in traditional schools, can succeed academically and socially. The Foundation operates the Maya Angelou Public Charter Schools in DC, as well as the Maya Angelou Academy at New Beginnings’ secure facility for committed youth in Laurel, MD. Our students develop the academic, social, and employment skills they need to build rewarding lives and promote positive change.
If you are interested in learning more about See Forever, please visit our website at www.seeforever.org.
The Maya Angelou Young Adult Learning Center (YALC) is seeking a Dean of Academics for the 2015-2016 school year. The instructional manager will report to the director of the YALC. The YALC provides academic and workforce development to young adults between the ages of 17 and 24 who do not have a high school credential; there is a focus on those transitioning from incarceration. This is a year around position.
Create, support, and participate in a professional learning community that focuses on results and continuous improvement
- Mentor and support classroom teachers to improve practice through feedback and coaching
- Prepare students for efforts beyond the classroom by relating ideas and practices of social justice and social change to the curriculum
- Manage, organize and align resources to create an effective and nurturing learning environment
- Work with the data manager and testing coordinator to collect, analyze and use academic data to drive programmatic decision making
- Lead, support and engage in ongoing professional development independently and with colleagues
- Stay informed of current trends in adult education, alternative education and special education
- Adapt current trends in curriculum, instruction and assessments to alternative and adult educational settings
- Use a leadership style characterized by shared decision-making, self-motivation, initiative, self-reflection, creativity and change to operate effectively under multiple pressures
- Other duties as assigned
- A bachelor’s degree
- At least two years of teaching experience in urban education with adolescents and/or young adults
- At least one year of experience supervising teaching staff
- Experience working effectively with students, teachers, families, community members and other colleagues in challenging contexts
- A proven track record supporting literacy and numeracy achievement in adolescents and/or young adults
- Experience writing, adapting and implementing curriculum
- Significant experience setting student learning goals and an unwavering belief in the capacity of all students to reach those goals
- The capability to articulate a vision of academic excellence for a school community and to create and maintain the support structures necessary to achieve the vision
- Excellent professionalism and keen attention to detail
- A master's degree in educational administration, educational leadership, teaching or another area of education
- Experience serving in the capacity of an instructional leader
Core Beliefs and Desired Characteristics
Teacher candidates should possess an unyielding belief that with the appropriate supports, coupled with high expectations, all students can significantly improve their academic skills, and can develop pro-social and culturally normative behaviors that will enable them to succeed at school and beyond. Candidates should also believe that all students have strengths and talents and that good teachers help students find them and use them to address weaknesses or overcome fears. In addition, candidates should exhibit the following characteristics:
- Honesty & Integrity: Does not cut corners ethically. Earns trust and maintains confidence. Does what is right, not just what is politically expedient. Speaks plainly and truthfully.
- Analytical skills: able to structure and process qualitative or quantitative data and draw insightful conclusions from it; exhibits a probing mind and achieves penetrating insights
- Persistence: Demonstrates tenacity and willingness to go the distance to get something done.
- Strategic thinking/visioning: Able to see and communicate the big picture in an inspiring way; determines opportunities and threats through comprehensive analysis of current and future trends
- Flexibility/adaptability: Adjusts quickly to changing priorities and conditions; copes effectively with complexity and change
- Enthusiasm: Exhibits passion and excitement over work. Has can do attitude.
Salary and Benefits
Our salaries are comparable to those of other public schools in the District of Columbia area. In addition, See Forever offers a robust benefits plan, including health care coverage, a 401k retirement savings plan, and the opportunity to positively impact students with a broad range of experiences and backgrounds.
See Forever is an equal opportunity employer. We believe a diverse staff is a better, more effective staff.