Since it began operating in 1997, the See Forever Foundation's mission has been to create learning communities in lower income urban areas where all students, particularly those who have not succeeded in traditional schools, can succeed academically and socially. The Foundation operates the Maya Angelou Public Charter Schools in DC, as well as the Maya Angelou Academy at New Beginnings’ secure facility for committed youth in Laurel, MD. Our students develop the academic, social, and employment skills they need to build rewarding lives and promote positive change.
If you are interested in learning more about See Forever, please visit our website at www.seeforever.org.
At the Maya Angelou Schools, the key to our success is rooted in building trusting, respectful and nurturing relationships with each other. We strive to create safe spaces for all to be able to reach their limitless potential. We are at our best when we work together to ensure the unique needs of our community are met. We empower each other to grow successfully so we can see forever! This is how we live the Maya Way, even when no one is watching.
To assist students in their learning process by utilizing appropriate resources, materials, facilities, and educational technology available to complement the teaching and learning process of Hospitality Management.
The Academy of Hospitality and Tourism is structured as a “Small Learning Community” focused on careers in the hospitality, tourism and restaurant industry. The three-year curriculum begins in the sophomore year by enhancing a student’s core subjects with a concentration in hospitality to include hotel administration, restaurant management, event planning and tourism.
- Principles of Hospitality and Tourism
- How To Deliver Great Customer Service
- Sports, Entertainment & Event Planning
- Hospitality Marketing
- Set and reinforce clear expectations and routines that are aligned with the NAF Academy of Hospitality and Tourism and school’s overall vision
- Develop and/or refine and implement curricula and activities to meet academic standards
- Thoughtfully plan daily lessons and implement specific strategies to meet the needs of all students, providing extra support, enrichment, or variation of work when necessary
- Demonstrate strong content knowledge
- Design and implement assessments that measure progress towards academic standards and diagnose areas of student misunderstanding
- Use assessment data to refine curriculum and inform instructional practices
- Be accountable for students’ academic growth and increase each individual student’s achievement
- Create a positive, achievement-oriented learning environment
- Reflect on successes and areas of growth as a teacher, seek to improve performance, and respond to feedback
- Participate in collaborative curriculum development, grade-level activities, and school-wide functions
- Invest parents and families in their children’s academic success through regular communication including, home visits
- Demonstrates a sensitivity toward and respect for the myriad of diversities represented in the
- student population, colleagues and service area
- Actively pursues and participates in professional development activities to enhance skills in various modes of instruction and knowledge of learning
- Designs and maintains an active classroom environment conducive to student learning and success
- Provides regular and timely evaluation feedback to students
- Assigns grades consistent with course requirements
- Develop and supervise assessments, assist with advising students, organizing special events
- Assists in MAPCS’ commitment to assessing student learning outcomes and program learning outcomes and to achieving institutional performance measures
- Performs basic student enrollment and recruitment functions, such as community outreach, support of student registration and student retention activities
- Attends the workplace regularly, reports to work punctually and follows a work schedule to keep up with the demands of the worksite
- Supports the values of the Academy: diversity, teaching excellence, student success, innovation and creativity and service
- Other duties as assigned.
- Bachelor’s Degree in Hospitality Management (preferred) with some course work from an accredited college or university in tourism and travel agency and/or equivalent industry related experience
- Teaching experience and administrative skills in managing an academic program, including promotion, recruitment, enrollment, and assessment of the degrees and certificates
- Experience working with youth development programs and/or “at-risk” student populations preferred
Core Beliefs and Desired Characteristics
Teacher candidates should possess an unyielding belief that with the appropriate supports, coupled with high expectations, all students can significantly improve their academic skills, and can develop pro-social and culturally normative behaviors that will enable them to succeed at school and beyond. Candidates should also believe that all students have strengths and talents and that good teachers help students find them and use them to address weaknesses or overcome fears. In addition, candidates should exhibit the following characteristics:
- Honesty & Integrity: Does not cut corners ethically. Earns trust and maintains confidence. Does what is right, not just what is politically expedient. Speaks plainly and truthfully.
- Analytical skills: able to structure and process qualitative or quantitative data and draw insightful conclusions from it; exhibits a probing mind and achieves penetrating insights
- Persistence: Demonstrates tenacity and willingness to go the distance to get something done.
- Strategic thinking/visioning: Able to see and communicate the big picture in an inspiring way; determines opportunities and threats through comprehensive analysis of current and future trends
- Flexibility/adaptability: Adjusts quickly to changing priorities and conditions; copes effectively with complexity and change
- Enthusiasm: Exhibits passion and excitement over work. Has can do attitude.
Salary and Benefits
Our salaries are comparable to those of other public schools in the District of Columbia area. In addition, See Forever offers a robust benefits plan, including health care coverage, a 401k retirement savings plan, and the opportunity to positively impact students with a broad range of experiences and backgrounds.
See Forever is an equal opportunity employer. We believe a diverse staff is a better, more effective staff.